Thursday, 7 April 2016

Beers with Peps: Brews Review- Oast House Brewery Barn Raiser


Time for a brew review. This time the beer comes from Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. The brewery is called Oast House and the name comes from a style of building designed to dry hops in ye olde days. For more info on this name follow this wiki link. I have to say I really like the label, something about screams Fallout to me. Somehow modern and retro at the same time.

Details

Name: Barn Raiser Pale Ale
Brewery: Oast House Brewery (website)
Country: Canada, Niagara-on-the-lake
Price: Unknown bought as a gift.
ABV: 5%
Commercial Fluff:
"Our Flagship beer! Dry-hopped Pale Ale with hints of grapefruit, peach and apricot"

Own Opinion

Sight: Cloudy, Darker Golden colour. White head which dissipates quickly.
Aroma: Sweet honey maybe caramel aroma. Combined with a pine fresh aroma.
Taste: Light grapefruit and apricot taste, with a light bitterness. Easy drinking but nothing amazing would like a bit more of a hoppy bite.
Would I buy it again? On the fence with this one. Nice enough beer but I know I can likely find better.


As far as pale ales go this was okay. When I think of other session pale ales in the marketplace, Barn Raiser doesn't really stand out compared to them. Overall I think they played it too safe with the hops profile. For a Flagship beer I have come to expect something with more punch, this really needs more hops thrown into the mix. I look forward to trying more of their beers and seeing what else they produce. If you're ever in that region try them out!

Popular Posts

Search the dusty archives

Support 'The Fallen Princes'